Monday, September 13, 2010

Homegrown

     I love gardening, and not just flower gardens, but produce as well.  We don't have very much space right now, but I try to grow a few vegetables every year.  Not only because home grown produce tastes better, but because there is something very valuable about watching your food grow, and then being able to out and pick it and eat it in one day. 

     This year, Anna grew an enormous sunflower, (it measured 10 ft!) and some pole beans to climb up it, and I grew my customary tomato plants. We also had a surprise this year. A zucchini plant, that appeared on it's own.  I don't normally grow any type of squash, since they take up too much space, but I left this one alone just to see what it would do, and what it was.  It turned out to be a zucchini, but a strange round type that I had never seen before.  It was fun watching it grow, and grow(!), and finally start producing.  I'm not sure where it came from.



We did nature studies on squash, and learned to appreciate the short lived, but very beautiful squash flower. 
   Anna recorded it in it's various stages, in her nature journal.

1 comment:

  1. Correction on this; it is not a zucchini, but a pumpkin! It looked like a zucchini, felt like a zucchini, even tasted like a zucchini. However, today I discovered one that had escaped our harvesting, and it's about 6" in diameter, and already starting to turn orange. Anna insists we make a pie. I just might!

    ReplyDelete