Tuesday, January 24, 2012

No More TV

      It's funny how you hardly notice something slowly encroaching on your life, until one day you look around and think, "What happened?"  That was TV for us.  I've always been strict on the amount of TV that I allowed the kids to watch, but then the twins started really liking it.  And it was so much easier to get supper on while they were watching a movie, and then a little TV in the morning didn't hurt, and it was so nice for them to have something to do during school, and, etc, etc...  Until suddenly I woke up and thought, "What am I doing?  This is not what I want my children to do all day."  So I made a New Years resolution, to get the kids off the TV. (and the computer, as Anna was getting way too into computer games.)  I was dreading doing it, since I knew there would be constant whining for awhile, and I really didn't know how I was going to keep the twins from turning on the TV when I wasn't watching.  I tried unplugging it once, but they figured out that trick within seconds, and Dave wouldn't let me disconnect the cable.  It turns out, I didn't have to do anything.  Our TV broke right before New Years.  Completely flat-lined; not even any static.  Haha! It's great when things work out like that.
         Of course, the day after it broke, Dave was looking at adds for a new TV.  Out of everyone in our household, Dave watches the least amount of TV, but he absolutely will not consent to not having one.  Grrrr.... I have tried every argument I can think of in favor of not having a TV, but to no avail.  However, we haven't replaced our old TV yet, so I might prevail after all.
     Here's my guys zoned out in front of the TV with their cousins.  No more toddler zombies for me, thank you.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Susannah,
    I found your blog via the AO yahoo group. I am a new member there. I joined in hopes of getting helpful tips about using the AO curriculum, which I hope to start using next year, if not sooner. Anyway, I'm your newest follower, and would love for you to stop by and "visit" me sometime. :) I am looking forward to reading your future posts.
    Many blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lisa. You have a very beautiful blog.

    ReplyDelete