Thursday, March 22, 2012

Outdoor Play Spaces

     This is my recently completed, (or at least nearly so; I'm always thinking of something else too add) play area for the kids. 
     This place has been slowly evolving over the years, from a completely unusable space under our deck, to what it is now.  It started with the one little swing that is past the tire swing.  We put that up for Anna shortly after we moved, and for one little girl who entertained herself easily, that was pretty good.  Then the twins got old enough to play out side, and I realized that all the unfinished outside projects that had come to a screeching halt when I became pregnant, not only had not miraculously completed itself, but that the mess had to be cleaned up in order to make it safe enough for two wobbly one year olds to be outside.  There was a lot of wood that had to be gotten rid of, so I used some of it to make a sand box.  It's nothing fancy, but it works.
     I wanted to get some more swings, so that everyone could swing at the same time, but apparently swings have gotten ridiculously expensive in the few years since I bought one for Anna.  Then Dave had to get tires for his truck, and I had a Eureka! moment.  A tire swing would be so much cheaper, and all the kids could ride on it together.  I asked Dave to save one of the truck tires, but instead of saving one of his old tires, he asked if he could have one of the tires laying around the garage.  The guy said, "Sure, as long as you don't bring it back!" He got the biggest one there.  The kids have loved it, and our whole family can fit on it!
        We added some logs and mulch this past week, and now it's really nice under there.  I read Robinhood to Anna while sitting on the logs yesterday.  Almost as good as sitting under the greenwood tree.
     It's amazing how necessary it is to have a place for kids to play, when you have a rather small boring yard.  Growing up, I had acres to play on!  There was always something to do, (even if I do remember saying "I'm bored" pretty frequently.) 
     The next thing I want to add is a pulley going from the top of the deck, down to the ground.  As long as they don't pulley each other up, I think they will have fun with it.  Although they would probably have fun pulling each other up until somebody falls, hits their head on a rock, and gets knocked out.  Ask me how I know.  ;)

7 comments:

  1. It looks awesome! Can't wait to play on it! lol... I mean, for my "kids" to play on it... Can't wait to see the pulley either! :>

    ReplyDelete
  2. David just told me the story about you being pulled on a pulley :(... poor you. You should tell the story :>.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha Raquel! It's amazing we survived childhood relatively unharmed with all we used to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who wouldn't want to play here? Love it so much I shared it on the Let the Children Play facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! I just love this outdoor play space you created! I am finding your blog through LE the Children Play. Loving it, and looking forward to connecting here :)

    ReplyDelete