Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Finished! Wool Farm Play Mat

    After months of work, (Not solid, and most of that, spent watching old TV shows on Netflix) the farm rug is finally done!!!
There's winding streams
A field of wheat
A pond for ducks
A green lawn
A garden with vegetables growing, and meandering paths.
     It has been backed with burlap, and the edges neatly bound with yarn. I couldn't find any information on the web on how to bind a rug.  Apparently most crafters don't bind their rugs, but use some kind of self adhesive cloth tape.  I couldn't see that working with this style of rug, and it needed a backing, as the underside was a mess, so I just copied what appeared to be done on my oriental rugs.  I am really pleased with how it turned out.
     This rug combines knitting, latch hooking, needlepoint, and embroidery.  I used over fifteen different yarns, all of them being wool, or a wool blend.  The surprising thing about this rug, was that it was actually very easy to make.  It was time consuming, and I have to admit there were times I thought this would sit in my closet, unfinished forever, but now that it's done, I almost miss working on it.
     Now I need animals!  I have a duck and a chicken, but I don't think that quite makes up a farm. 

7 comments:

  1. This is absolutely amazing! Did you just make up the pattern? I wish I could do something like that. I wouldn't even know where to begin? Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I made up the pattern, but there wasn't much to that. Just a random blob here and a random blob there. The only tip I have is, just go for it! Don't be intimidated by a big project.
    You're more than welcome to copy any elements that you see in my rug. The dimensions are 5'x2'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need somebody to make it for me, that is amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing! This farm mat is truly an incredible work of art! I would have loved to have experimented with making something like this for our family, but I spent 2 1/2 hours last night painting one on heavy cardboard instead... Phenomenal work and thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would buy one of these! I want one for the wall behind my sofa. Wowwww

    ReplyDelete
  6. What did you use for your backing? Was it latch hook material?

    ReplyDelete